Click on a question below to see a conversation
I have contributed to on enotes.com
(my screen name is jmj616).
* In Eudora Welty's "Powerhouse," what really happened with
respect to Powerhouse's wife?
* In "A Streetcar Named Desire," what kind of cigarettes do
Stella and Stanley smoke?
* In Gogol's "The Overcoat," at what point does Akaky
Akakyevich cease to be human?
* In the ''Secret Life of Walter Mitty'', in what way is Mitty's
final daydream a comment on his fate in real life?
* What is the significance of the tapestries on the walls of
Dimmesdales's room in The Scarlet Letter?
* In the short story "Cathedral," what does the blind man
* Do you love law?
* What message about men and women is conveyed by
Tennessee Williams' Streetcar Named Desire?
* What is the meaning of the wine motif in The Strange Case
of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?
* What might be suggested by the names Mr. Gradgrind and
* How can William Blake's poem "The Sick Rose"
* Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
* Is Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness a work of prose
fiction, autobiography, or poetry?
* In James Wright's Native Son, what is Bigger's transition
from fear to flight?
* What is the difference between prediction and
* What is the meaning of "comic Ford" in Phillip Larkin's poem
"I remember, I remember"?
* If an honest man goes to war, kills many people, and then
is killed himself, should he go to heaven or hell?
* What is the purpose of discordant notes in music?
* In music, what are "strange" notes?
* What is the connection between Gulliver's Travels and the
English people of Jonathan Swift's time?
* Why is Jack Smurch not a hero in James Thurber's "The
Greatest Man in the World"?
* How can a teacher help her students to improve their
* What is the significance of the name "Daisy" in the Henry
James novel Daisy Miller?
* How does the poet in "A Red, red rose" express his
everlasting love by the phrase, "while the sands of
life shall run" ?
* Why have the traditions and myths about Thanksgiving
become so central to ideas about America's national
* What genre of literature does the Bible belong to?
*What does the name Jonah mean in The Giver?